Deptt. Of English
Rajiv Gandhi Govt. College, Saha
Language plays important role in the communication system whether it is verbal communication or non-verbal communication. Without communication we cannot imagine the world of expression. Communication is effective mean for creating the understanding of the concept. English language is practiced all over the world as a global language. This language has its exclusive role in expressing the message. This language is effective and relevant for setting the tone, pitch and style in any communication. This language not only enhances the communication skills of the person but also the personality of the person.
Key Words: Communication, Link language, Pronunciation, Feedback.
Communication plays very important role for expressing the message in both ways i.e. verbally and non-verbally. Without communication we cannot imagine the world of expression. Communication is effective mean for creating the understanding of the concept. Communication can be defined as the sum of all the things which a person does when he wants to create understanding in the mind of another. It involves a systematic and continuous process of telling, listening and understanding. For creating the understanding of the concept one has to analyse the nature of the audience. Audience analysis involves various steps like size and composition, the primary audience, the probable reaction of the audience and the most important is to understand the level of understanding.
Language plays important role for understanding the level of the audience. If language of the sender and the receiver differs then it is impossible to communicate the message to the audience. English language is the universal language and it is practiced all over the world in the communication of all types.
Objective of the Study
The main objective of this paper is to highlight the relationship of the communication and English language. One can communicate the message effectively if he has the sufficient knowledge of the language and he can pursue his message in the English if he has the complete knowledge of the communication skills.
Preset paper has been divided in to three main parts. Beginning part of the study includes the introduction of the topic. Middle section includes the objectives and methodology involved in the paper. Ending part of the paper includes the conclusive view. For the information the published and on-line sources have been considered.
English as Communication
English is used all over the world as a global language. This language has its unique role in expressing the ideas and information. This language is effective and relevant for setting the tone, pitch and style in any communication. English language helps in the communication as follows:
- Link Language: This language is widely spoken and understood in the every field of communication such as in Business, Education, Sports, Entertainment, Music, Technology, Computers and Fashion etc. This language links not only the parts of a country with one another but also links country to country. The development in the various technologies used today is due to this language only. The growth of any country is completely dependent on this language as it makes the communication possible between the two countries even if they are entirely different in other perspectives like culture, style, tradition, habits and the ways of expressing the message, dialects.
- Pronunciation: The pronunciation of this language is based on phonetics. This feature helps us to pronounce the words in a correct manner. It has been found that one can learn the vocabulary in English very easily by making the use of Phonetics, For example: The pronunciation of the word put, cut and but is pronounced as per the phonetically symbols. This shows that we can pronounce the words though looking similar n a different manner. The vocabulary of this language is wide but becomes simple with the phonetics.
- Feedback: Feedback is the most important part of the communication process. If the communicator wants to know the response of the audience then the feedback is the main source. By the effective feedback process, he can know the shortcomings and drawbacks in the message related to the language. Through feedback various changes can be made in order to make the communication effective and progressive. This language is apt for the quick and better response because of the globalised characteristics of this language.
Communication Skills and English Language
Communication skills can be enhanced through English language in an easy manner as this language is understood and spoken in almost every culture. International communication is preferred mostly in this language. All the communication skills such as reading, writing, speaking and listening can be developed effectively in this language due the following reasons:
- As this language is universally accepted so the skills on large level can be enhanced globally.
- Use of symbols and signals are easy to express through this language as the complementary channel.
- The literature in this language is vast and easily accessible and available in the offline and online manner hence it becomes time savior.
- Most of the words are easily understood and pronounced in this language which helps in the effective usage of the communication skills.
In the modern competitive scenarios when the entire world has become a global village, the universally acceptance of the English language helps in creating the sound base for the effective communication system. Through this language one can express his ideas better than that of any other local language. International communication requires such a language that has the global access. This language is suitable for the communication at international as well as local level. Interpersonal communication can be performed efficiently in English among the audience of various cultures.
Kushal Sri Jin (2013): Business Communication, VK Global Publications Pvt. Ltd., Delhi.
Khanna Monika, Dawar Shivani (2015): Business Communication Skills, Helpline Publications, Jalandhar.
Gomathinathan Thiru S. (2004): Communicative English, Tamilnadu Textbooks Corporation, Chennai.